Things I learned while celebrating the holidays in Texas and in New Hampshire:
1. It is perfectly okay to pass off candy cane ornaments your mother made for you as your own and give them away to classfuls of children as, er, holiday presents.
2. Airline travel with small children during holiday time is a modern - and acceptable - form of torture.
3. I do not miss snow.
4. In the world of Dallas Christmas decorations, more is definitely more.
5. Do not read Michael Pollen's The Omnivore's Dilemma for enjoyable vacation reading and then expect to be able to eat your Christmas Day meal.
6. Spending a few days playing with your children and their new toys without agendas or interruptions is divine joy.